Keeping our family healthy and safe throughout the years is one of the most important tasks we have as a parent. There are a lot of things we have to prepare our family for in life and ensuring everyone is safe and ready is a crucial thing for us to do.
Whether it be taking a cyber security awareness class to be more aware of what our children might be doing online, locking up the house with a security system, or keeping the home clean – so many factors play into a healthy and happy family.
One important aspect of course is healthy eating, and that’s why today we have some great examples of healthy meals you can cook at lunch time for your family to fuel them for a healthy and productive week.
Greek chicken bowl
This easy Greek chicken bowl will quickly become a meal prep staple in your house and it’s not only healthy but also super flavourful.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 2 cumin
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 block feta cheese
- 1 beef tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 400g spiced couscous sachet
- 1 block halloumi
- Chop your chicken breasts into bite size pieces and add to a bag. Add the spices and oil and mix until coated.
- Heat up a frying pan and add your chicken, pan fry for around 8-10 minutes.
- Cook the couscous according to packet instructions and set aside.
- Slice your halloumi and add to a frying pan with some oil. Fry on both sides until golden and then remove and chop into small pieces.
- Chop your tomato, cucumber, and feta into cubes and mix.
- To assemble your bowls, add some couscous into the bottom of the bowl, followed by your chicken, halloumi, and salad mixture. Top with a dollop of Houmous and tzatziki.
Chicken rice and avocado
Chicken, rice, and avocado come together to form a perfectly balanced meal for yourself and your little ones. Chicken is packed with protein, rice provides slow release carbs, and avocado is a great source of healthy fat.
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- Peri salt
- Salt and pepper
- 250g rice
- 400ml water
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- Season your chicken with some salt, pepper, and a little bit of Peri salt. Add to your frying pan and fry for 6-8 minutes until cooked through.
- Add your rice and water to a pan, bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut your avocado into small cubes and squeeze lime juice onto them to keep them bright and green.
- To prep, add the chicken and rice to your bowls and then add your avocado to a separate dip pot. When you need it you can heat your rice and chicken together and then tip in the avocado when serving.
Beef burrito bowl
What could be a better way to spice up the day than a simple burrito bowl? Packed with fibre, protein, and healthy carbs – this is the perfect lunch for everyone in the family.
- 500g beef mince
- 1 can red Kidney beans
- 200g sweet corn
- 400g cooked rice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or cheese mix
- 1 lime
- 1 large avocado
- 1 sachet taco seasoning
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Fry your beef in a pan with some oil, salt, and pepper. As it is cooking, add your beans and spices.
- Once cooked, add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop your avocado into small pieces and add to a small dip tub.
- Quarter your lime.
- Assemble starting with rice, then beef mixture, then sweet corn, and cheddar. Top with a lime wedge.
- When reheating, take out the lime while heating and then squeeze in after, and add your avocado.
Chicken pesto panini
A simple lunchtime treat that will fill everyone up and provide you with an amazing easy meal.
- 1 jar pesto
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 large mozzarella ball
- 4 ciabatta rolls or other panini style rolls
- Add your chicken to an oven safe dish such as a glass Pyrex dish. Add 4 tbsp of pesto and mix.
- Cook in the oven covered for 45 minutes until tender.
- Pull apart.
- Slice your bread rolls in half and add some chicken to each roll.
- Slice your mozzarella thinly and lay slices on top of each panini.
- Cook in a panini press or foreman grill until it melts and is hot.
- Serve on its own or with a fresh salad.