So you thought being a new mum was a challenge? Being a working mum is a whole new ball game, especially when little fragments of your other identity keep popping up in the workplace.
The Motherload®’s top ten working mum moments…
1) You show a colleague a photo of your baby, and start lactating.
2) You look down in a meeting and notice two circles of biscuit drool on the knees of your trousers.
3) You get your security pass out of your handbag and find a collection of really nice conkers.
4) You see a colleague struggling with something and say “it’s okay, mummy do it!”
5) You announce all trips to the toilet to the entire office, in your best sing-song voice.
6) You find a nappy, some wipes and a sippy cup in your lunch bag.
7) You put on your ‘urgent business am texting important contact’ face when actually you’re having a sneaky look at your kids on your phone.
8) You come home from work and realise you’ve had a Peppa Pig sticker on your arse all day. And raisins in your shoes.
9) You crack open a bottle of red on Monday night, even though it’s only your first day back.
10) You finally get through the week to your day at home with the kids and you get that holiday feeling – whoooooo! Then everyone gets a virus for the weekend but recovers just in time for work on Monday.
Written and experienced by Alison and The Motherload®.
Tell us your working mum moments in the comments below…
About Alison McGarragh-Murphy
Alison writes and edits stuff for The Motherload®, and is also a radio producer and broadcast journalist, a mum of two and a wife of one. Since becoming a mother she has (mostly) gladly swapped a busy social life of gigs, pubs, art galleries and museums for dancing in the kitchen, drinking on the sofa, finger painting and hanging out at the park. She talks incessantly about not having slept for three-and-half years.